Wheelchair Seating/Mobility Clinic
Barkman and Smith Physical Therapy established our wheelchair clinic in August of 2016 to accommodate the growing need for specialized seating and mobility assessments in the DFW community and surrounding areas. Jonathan Stoddard PT has been performing wheelchair seating and mobility assessments since 2008. Jonathan's wheelchair/mobility assessment experience includes working with the State of Texas Department of Assistive Rehabilitative Services as well as wheelchair assessments both in home and clinic environments. He has worked with a consulting group responsible for verifying mobility equipment need from an insurance coverage criteria perspective. Understanding how insurance companies verify need improves his ability to justify the recommended mobility equipment in way that decreases the frequency of equipment denials.
The Wheelchair and Seating Clinic serves both adults and children with a variety of musculoskeletal, developmental and neurological conditions. You'll receive a detailed examination and assessment, which will include measurements of your strength, range of motion, posture and ability to perform everyday activities.
We work with all wheelchair providers and have relationships with wheelchair and seating manufacturers as well. We have several manual wheelchairs and cushion onsite which allows patients to trial certain equipment during the assessment to make sure it meets their needs prior to making equipment recommendations. With advance notice, we can also provide onsite power wheelchair trials with most major manufacturers.
Services Provided: (A physician’s referral is required for a Wheelchair Seating Evaluation)
- Evaluation to determine the consumer’s needs
- Evaluation of current manual and/or power wheelchair
- Demonstration of wheelchairs and seating products for trial and to generate recommendations for prescription
Evaluations can be provided for the following equipment (subject to insurance approval):
- Manual wheelchairs
- Power Wheelchairs
- Seating systems, including seat cushions, specialty back supports and other accessories
A properly fitting wheelchair and seating system will improve:
- Seated posture
- Skin health
- Interacting with the environment
- Functional independence with activities of daily living
- Fitting of prescribed equipment when ready for delivery to ensure proper fit
- Wheelchair mobility skills training